Wednesday, November 4, 2009

From a distance: Hi There

This is 4 your sake posting Um A-H's original blog posts. I'm sorry I didn't preserve the dates on them.

Hi There

This is my story.

I was looking for a way to get closer to Allah most high, something that would bring spiritual richness with respect for education and thought. I thought that Sufism was it. What I found, and many others found, is something more out of a spiritual nightmare. I was a regular Muslim American looking for knowledge in this deen. No different than any one of you out there. You might say I am more vulnerable because I was a convert but most people caught up in this are not converts.

The problems we found are the same that you find in most any cult. Where is the Islam in all of this, I don't know. More important, where were the leaders of the Muslim community when they know that some of this stuff is going on?I want to share my story because when I got involved in the tariq, there was no other story to be told. Only of a great wali of Allah who would help me purify myself from the distractions of the dunia, as long as I did what he taught me to. Of course, everything he taught me would be according to the sunna! I am talking about Nuh HM Keller. I dedicated many years to the tariqa and was among those who were "blessed" enough to have suhba with him in Jordan.

There is no comments here because this is my story. Only meant for you to read and reflect, not spam and threaten. I don't want to dialog with you, I don't want correspondence. Some former murids want to be together as a group; others don't. I have all the friends and sympathetic ears I need. But this is a story that needs to be told. The murids have their blogs and websites their mailing lists and their suhba where they trash anyone who quits. This is my oasis on the internet where I can tell you what I survived, what I witnessed. Just listen, that's all. All you have to do is listen. They have their CDs and websites and programs and blogs. This is just one person's story.

If it makes you feel better, we'll say it's a story.Once upon a time --

Um AH